November 2019 REIGN Dataset: November 6th, 2019
- Luca Boschi and Mariella Mularoni (San Marino)
- Sophie Wilmès (Belgium)
- Pohiva Tu’i’onetoa (Tonga)
- Kais Saied (Tunisia)
Version Updates (As of November 6th, 2019)
- An acting PM for Tonga has been retroactively added to account for their leadership tenure before October’s selection of a new PM.
- Leadership in Cuba has been retroactively changed back to Raul Castro after examining the current leadership structure in Cuba.
- The coalition talks have been resolved in Belgium. Sophie Wilmès is now the first female prime minister in Belgian history.
- Updated precipitation (SPI) estimates using NOAA’s October 2019 PREC/L release (https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/data.prel.html).
- Updated economic estimates with the IMF’s October Global Economic Outlook release (https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WEO/Issues/2019/10/01/world-economic-outlook-october-2019).
- Updated economic estimates with the World Bank’s newest GDP data (https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/ny.gdp.pcap.cd)
- Updated infant mortality rate estimates with the World Bank’s newest IMF data (https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.IMRT.IN)
- Updated internal political violence indicator using the newest Global Terrorism Database release (https://www.start.umd.edu/research-projects/global-terrorism-database-gtd)
- Updated internal political violence indicator using newest UCDP Georeferenced Event Data release (https://ucdp.uu.se/downloads/)
- Updated regime type for Bolivia. Bolivia is now coded as a party-personalist government as of October 25th, 2019. This was a difficult decision and the REIGN team waited until after the election to come to a conclusion. Given the government’s behavior in previous term-limit debates and solid evidence of electoral irregularities, we have changed Bolivia from a presidential democracy to a party-personalist system.
Find the most current REIGN data here
Find the most current REIGN update-blog here
Election and Leader lists (November 2019)
Codebook and Technical Notes
If you are unable to download the data, or have questions/inquiries, please contact Clayton Besaw (email@example.com). Also feel to contact Clayton if you notice any bugs or wrongly coded data. Thanks!